Monday, May 30, 2011

A few more Lebanon observations

There are a few things that I forgot to mention in my last post. First off, I recently found out that 80% of the AUB student body is on financial aid. I was shocked by that figure because if you walk around campus you would not get that impression. It seems like people are rolling in money. As a friend of mine likes to say about her Art History class, "there isn't a single boy but there are a whole lot of Louis'." It's just an interesting thing I've noticed. That further drives home the point that appearance is super important here.

Life at AUB is very different from my college experience. Probably the hardest for me to adjust to was the meal plan, or lack there of. Only about a sixth of the school population lives in dorms. The rest live in apartments near by or commute every day. This means that the school doesn't really need to provide an all-encompassing meal plan like Hamilton does. There is one dining hall, but it closes at 5 pm!! It also only serves pasta, salad, and sandwiches, with no variety. The girls that live in dorms all eat food prepared for them by their mothers. A lot of the girls on my hall go home each weekend and restock on their food supply for the week. The girls who don't go home have their parents bring them prepared meals for the week, or, in the case of one Lebanese girl from Saudi, have their mom's send it via airplane with traveling family members. Actually, this does make sense. It's not as though I have time to cook for myself during my semesters at Hamilton and without the dining halls I would surely starve. Also, up until this semester, there was no communal eating space on my floor. However we got a little table with three chairs put in our kitchen, so occasionally people will eat there together, but mostly people eat in their rooms. At Hamilton, meals are the most social period of the day, so I had a really hard time adjusting to that.

There are a few more differences between AUB and Hamilton, but I can't think of them now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment