Saturday, June 4, 2011

One Week Left!

Previously, I had mentioned that I had never experienced any anti-American sentiment while in Lebanon. That is still true, although as I reflect back on my semester here there is one thing that stands out. People are always very welcoming, but they can't seem to fathom why an American would come to Lebanon. As my roommate's young cousin asked, "why would you leave the best country in the world to come here?" When I tell people that I'm a visiting student at AUB for the semester, I often get a similar question. It's as though they take their interest in the US for granted, but can't understand why there would be reciprocal interest. I actually have had a hard time answering this question. For sure, 9/11 played a large part in introducing me to the region, as did my parents' discussion of all things political. I suppose the interest is born from our country's rapacious acts throughout the Muslim world. I have an idealistic desire to reshape the course of American diplomacy in the Middle East, and once I tell people this, they seem a bit more understanding. I suppose that is the most simplistic answer to why I came to Lebanon. That, and my love of falafel, hommos, and zaatar.

This may be my last post from Lebanon. I have two more final papers to finish up, and then it's off to the West Bank next Sunday! In the meantime, I plan to hang out at the AUB beach, bronzaging in the true Lebanese fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment